Ironcross race weekend

Last year I did this race on a mountain bike and I told myself there is no way that I will do it on a mountain bike again. This year I ordered a cyclocross frame before the race and, of course with my luck, I never got it in time for the race. I guess I'm going into this race with a mountain bike, again! Last year when I did the race, I was out of shape and felt like poo. This year, feeling much better on the bike, I felt like I would do better in the race. So in the race, I ate it in that "one corner." Everyone knows that one...flying downhill and I slipped out and almost flew off the mountain side. Wonderful! Then dealing with a loose handlebar grip that slipped a lot...pain in the butt. Come to find out, I did worse than last year! How does that happen??? It beats me, but there are more races to come and it was still a fun time doing Ironcross. Unlike last year, I got to the hostel early the night before the race and thought I would get a good night's sleep. Well, I was wrong. Next year I'll be sure to bring a good supply of breathe right strips and ear plugs to dampen out the heavy breathing, loud snoring, and late night bladder reliefs. I hate calling people out on these things, but you all know who you are! So basically, the race wasn't all that pleasant for me, however, the best part of the weekend was getting to spend time with my friend Cindy and her friend Jenn. They took a road trip to see me and to hang out with the tripower crew. We all went out to dinner at the deer lodge which put a hefty-size hole in my pocket but that awesome steak and sauteed mushrooms was well worth it. For Cindy and Jenn...definitely not mountaineers! Cindy, being off her bike for a good while because of her injury, was out of breath walking down the gravel road to the race course, was followed by a swarm of flying bugs, and believes that the top of the forest is called "the roof." One of these days, I'll get her making fires from sticks. In the meantime, stayed tuned for the new cyclocross bike.


7 comments:

Rob said...

Steven- don't worry, our room was no quieter and on the hour, in the pitch black of darkness, you could hear the tinkle phantom creeping through our room's creaking door. Someone must have drank an aquarium at dinner.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I was just well hydrated! Nothing wrong with that. At least I tried to be quiet. Unlike the snores that roared.

steven said...

Ok, ok...I know you older folks are getting to that point in life now and have to get up in the middle of the night for that stuff. ha, i'll just make sure to add on a few catheters to the list for next year!!!! ARRG!

T.Karnes said...

dime piece!

chris d said...

Old folks??? Why you young whipper-snapper! I got around that course a bit faster than you with one eye. ;)

steven said...

haha. bah humbug! yeah, you got me there-that old man strength! it was a rude awakening, i admit...but i now have my motivation back and i'm taking ACTION...doping! kidding everyone!

nPlusOne said...

Does this mean you'll be spinning around a velodrome next season?
What happened to the hair?